Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2022

Involvement in the Writing Project Can Change Your Life

By Erika Dyk

 2010

I was in my second year of teaching and a postcard showed up in my school mailbox, a postcard advertising the Northern Plains Writing Project Summer Institute from Minot State University with an option to participate in a cohort in Bismarck. My friend, roommate, and fellow second-year English teacher received the same postcard. We signed up. I had no clue what a life-giving experience it would be.


For a few weeks, we began the day writing and sharing our writing together. We shared our best teaching moves, learned together, and most importantly supported each other. 


On the page, I met thinkers like Penny Kittle, Kelly Gallagher, Jeff Anderson, and Nancy Atwell. In the classroom, I met teachers from across North Dakota.


I walked into the experience not fully believing I was a writer; I walked out not just knowing I was one, but also inspired and equipped to help my students find their writer selves as well. To this day, the word writer has opened up so many doors of understanding and enjoyment.


2014

I was a first-year graduate student in the English Department at North Dakota State University. My TA office was down the hall from Dr. Kelly Sassi, Director of the Red River Valley Writing Project, and next to the RRVWP library. I was adopted into the RRVWP and a few writing retreats, writing marathons, and writing groups later, I not only had refined my writing game, but had made some deep friendships. 


I walked into those writing experiences knowing I was a writer; I walked away with a rich writing community. To this day, whenever I see an opportunity for a writing project--whether it is the Northern Plains Writing Project or the Red River Valley Writing Project--I know to pay attention. Because those experiences, they might just change your life.  


If you are interested in experiencing a summer institute, apply below.


Apply Here by May 1st: https://forms.gle/XHqo6egcCqcRkGQU8

 

$500 participant stipend. 3 credits. In-person on NDSU campus (June 11, June 20-23, and June 27-30).

 

NDSU campus housing available for $38/day for out of town participants.

No comments:

Post a Comment