Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

The Conference That Changed Me: My NDCTE Journey

By Angela Hase

It snowed again. Even though we are in April. And I already put away my winter jacket. The white flakes coating the ground are making me moony for summer. I am ready for rest and revitalization. One of my favorite summer teacher events to get this much-needed reset for the new school year is the North Dakota Council of Teachers of English Conference. When I think about all of the memories I have made over the years, it is easy to see how important this event is in my routine: 

In 2013, Ryan Goble, author of Making Curriculum Pop, modeled what an effective inquiry-based lesson using collaboration would look like. At that moment in my teaching career, it was eye-opening. I understood what questions to ask students and how to structure group work to help them have purposeful discourse instead of just mindless talk. I still use his graphic organizers in my classroom. 

In 2015, Penny Kittle led a morning writing group that I was fortunate enough to attend. She picked a prompt, wrote beside us, and shared her work. I wasn’t expecting her to actually read what she had written because it was just a rough draft jotted down in 10 minutes. I remember being impressed at her willingness to be vulnerable. The stakes were higher for her to share. She was the professional, after all. I thanked her for giving us that moment with her, and it inspired me to share more of my rough work in front of my students, a practice I continue today.


2017: Swimming around in new ideas with Erika Dyk


In 2018, Erika Dyk strummed the music of Aladdin's “A Whole New World” while she and I sang our teacher parody (“We Can Open the Doors”) to a room full of our professional peers. They stared at us in amazement and bewilderment. Eventually, they joined in and sang along. It was all things embarrassing and silly and heartfelt. Together, in this big ballroom, as we all laughed and sang and swayed to the plucky sounds of ukulele, I added to my community.

2019: Ready to take flight with Lisa Gusewelle

Last year, I arrived in great need. We were all emerging from isolation and drained from the online schooling world. I reconnected with teachers from across North Dakota, people I only see once a year, at this conference. Over the years, they have become my friends. We laughed and commiserated about the last COVID years. Surrounded by teachers sacrificing summer days, I found joy and passion. I left excited and refreshed.


These few examples do not begin to describe everything I have learned or taken from this conference. Nor have they even dived into the quality of speakers this conference books. I have learned from Kelly Gallagher, Jeff Wilhelm, Harvey Daniels, Donalyn Miller, and more.


2019: Meeting my professional idol, Kelly Gallagher


This year's conference is set to be another great one. It features three keynote speakers: 


I will be there, hopefully glowing from the summer sun, ready to learn and ready to reset. 


If you’re interested in joining me, check out the registration information on NDCTE’s website.

No comments:

Post a Comment