Search This Blog

Thursday, May 7, 2015

AuThursday: Jacqueline Woodson

Jacqueline Woodson is an American author who writes books for children and adolescents. Her work has won the National Book Award, the Coretta Scott King Award, and a Newbery Honor Award.

About her desire to write from a young age, Jacqueline Woodson says...

I used to say I’d be a teacher or a lawyer or a hairdresser when I grew up but even as I said these things, I knew what made me happiest was writing.

I wrote on everything and everywhere. I remember my uncle catching me writing my name in graffiti on the side of a building. (It was not pretty for me when my mother found out.) I wrote on paper bags and my shoes and denim binders. I chalked stories across sidewalks and penciled tiny tales in notebook margins. I loved and still love watching words flower into sentences and sentences blossom into stories. (From Jaqueline Woodson's website)

To read the entire text and learn more about Jacqueline Woodson, click on the hyperlinked text above. Be sure to watch the video interview with Woodson at the bottom of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment