Search This Blog

Thursday, July 2, 2015

A reading challenge with Andrea Scherer, GF Book Club Coordinator

This year, I challenged myself to complete the Book Riot 2015 ReadHarder Challenge. The goal, according to Book Riot, is “to inspire you to pick up books that represent experiences and places and culture that might be different from your own.” When I decided to become a librarian, I knew that I would need to read more across the different genres. It’s something that I’ve been working on for years and for the most part I’ve been successful. This challenge, though, is introducing me to different perspectives on reading than I had previously considered. There are 24 different tasks, so to complete all of them, one would have to read two challenge books a month. I’ve read 13 so far, so I’m right on track to complete the Challenge, and have a few more books planned out. 

Here are the tasks and the books I’ve read so far (the one with asterisks are ones I plan to read). If you have ideas or suggestions for me, I’ll gladly take them and if you want to keep up with me, friend me on Goodreads.

·       A book written by someone when they were under the age of 25: The Duff by Kody Keplinger (Keplinger was 17 when she penned The Duff)

     A book written by someone when they were over the age of 65The Heart Goes Last* by Margaret Atwood (Atwood is 75; the book comes out this year)

·       A collection of short stories (either by one person or an anthology by many people):  I’m not positive what I’m going to read for this* – Press Play to Start edited by John Joseph Adams,  Zombies vs. Unicorns edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier, or Grim edited by Christine Johnson

·       A book published by an indie press

·       A book by or about someone that identifies as LGBTQ: Gracefully Grayson by Ami Polonsky  (Grayson is physically a male, but identifies as female)

·       A book by a person whose gender is different than your own: Feast for Crows by George R.R.  Martin

·       A book that takes place in Asia: Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

·       A book by an author from Africa

·       A book that is by or about someone from an indigenous culture

·       A microhistory: The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime* by Judith Flanders

·       A YA Novel: Half Wild by Sally Green

·       A sci-fi novel: Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie

·       A romance novel:  The One that Got Away by Bethany Chase

·       A National Book Award, Man Booker Prize, or Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decade: Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson (incidentally, we are also reading All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, this year’s Pulitzer winner, for Book Club)

·       A book that is a retelling of a classic story (fairytale, Shakespearean play, classic  novel, etc.)

·       An audiobook

·       A collection of poetry: Wind in a Box* by Terrance Hayes

·       A book that someone else has recommended to you

·       A book that was originally published in another language: Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (was originally published in Spanish)

·       A graphic novel, graphic memoir or a collection of comics of any kind:  I have read a plethora of  these – Saga, Volume 3 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples, Lumberjanes by Grace Ellis and Noelle Stevenson, Bitch Planet by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine de Landro

·       A book that you would consider a guilty pleasure (Read, and then realize that good entertainment is nothing to feel guilty over): The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E. Reichert 

·       A book published before 1850: Rob Roy* by Sir Walter Scott

·       A book published this year:  I Was Here by Gayle Forman

·       A self-improvement book (can be traditionally or non-traditionally considered “self improvement”): Art Before Breakfast by Danny Gregory (a book about including art every day, even when you’re busy)

-Andrea Scherer, GF Book Club Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment