Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2018

Scholastic Spotlight: Michelle Chadraa



Author: Michelle Chadraa
12th Grade
Educator: Heather Yarber
Fargo


 Please look past the color of my skin.
It doesn’t take a magnifying glass
Or an artist’s eye
To see the light that hits
On the half-moons of our fingernails,
The cobalt rivers of our veins,
And the baby pink bumps of our tongues
Just the same.

Please listen past the sound of my voice.
I know I can’t say “Chihuahua”
Without breathing out the Hs,
Speak in the right tenses, 
Or eradicate my accent.
But still our vocal chords are shaped
Just the same.

Please see past the shape of my eyes.
Indeed they are almond shaped
And indeed they do not open
Like your French sliding doors
But the eyelashes aren’t uniform,
the tears are colorless,
And the pupils are dark with thought
Just the same as yours.

Please perceive past the folds of my clothing.
Even if I wear a cloth that covers my hair
And covers my legs, even if I wear a cap upon my head,
And even if I wear a chain with a symbol different from yours
Doesn’t mean they don’t exist and
Doesn’t mean we aren’t
Just the same inside. 

Please think past the bruises of our history
Because it has passed
Because it was done
Because it is time
To cross over our self-made partitions,
Erase the mental constructs our borders,
Nod our myriad of heads
In unison that we are all
Just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment